This smoothie has a kick with the added ginger (makes it SNAPPY), and lots of great anti-inflammatory properties between the pineapple (contains bromaline: an excellent anti-inflammatory enzyme), ginger, turmeric, and the good fats in the hemp seeds. In addition to being anti-inflammatory, it is nice and easy to digest. It is very hydrating and sweet without spiking your blood sugar. Your body will thank you. 🙂
Add the following to your blender, and go:
- 1 banana
- zest & juice of one orange (please choose organic, especially because of the zest)
- 1 cup chopped pineapple pieces
- 1 yellow mango or 1 cup frozen mango pieces
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon of lacuma powder (optional, but delicious)
- 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 inch piece of ginger (chopped roughly if you have a high powered blender; most standard blenders will require you to grate it before blending)
- ½ cup coconut water
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup ice (optional)
You can also add a scoop of your favourite protein powder (I like pumpkin seed protein a lot these days!) and a handful of greens. I didn’t want to add greens to this one just to keep the colour a bright sunny yellow for the picture, but a couple big kale leaves or a handful of baby spinach leaves would be a great addition. …To ANY smoothie!
For those of you who are new to lacuma, it is a deliciously sweet but low-glycemic fruit from Peru, rich in beta-carotine, iron, zinc, and vitamin B3. It has an almost maple-like flavour and is a great way to sweeten drinks and desserts without spiking your blood sugar levels, while adding an extra nutritional boost. Bonus! You can buy it in powder form in most health food stores.
Add your favourite gnarly pirate straw, drink up, and enjoy!
Keep sipping, friends!